Monday, December 03, 2007

Puppies

Our Sadie has her first, and last, litter of puppies today. Sadie was in labor and doing well, she did not seem distressed. But, her labor continued without producing any puppies. I could feel the puppies kicking, so I knew they were alive. I called the Vet, explained how long labor had been so far, and how Sadie was behaving. They thought it best for me to bring Sadie in. After an x-ray and ultrasound showed three puppies, two doing fine and one stressed, we agreed on a c-section to deliver the pups. Her puppies were not that big, but she was not able to deliver them naturally. The puppies were too big for her birth canal. I had them spay Sadie too. I just could not put Sadie through this again. Sadie and puppies are doing great!

3 comments:

Donna. W said...

It's a good thing you took her in! She would no doubt have died, and all the puppies with her. You always have the cutest puppies!

Ari said...

Oh my goodness! I remember when you were posting pics of Sadie when she was just a puppy. And now, she has her own! Sigh, they grow up so fast.

Ari

Becky said...

Poor Sadie! What an ordeal. I'm glad she made it through ok. At least she got to have puppies the one time. I envy her for that. :-)