Saturday, November 19, 2005

Oh What A Night...

A cruise sounds wonderful about now!

Last night, I got home a little late, I had to speak with an employee and wanted to do this after most everyone else left. All was well; issues heard, misunderstandings understood, resolutional plans put in place. It's been a long week and I'm glad it's over.

I hadn't been home long when the phone rang... "Mrs M? This is your son's boss, he's had an accident here at work, and the paramedics want to speak with you..."

My heart stopped!

The paramedic, a very young gal with a very calming voice, continued to explain the accident, my son's condition, and where they planned on taking him. We agreed on which hospital ER they would take him to, and they were on their way.

She did a good job in getting my heart jump-started and running again as I was able to get the dogs to bed and drive to the hospital without freaking out. When I got in the car, I called my guy. He was enroute to Los Angeles via I-5 in central California, a long way from home.

As I made the major intersection, a mile and a half from the hospital still, I met up with and merged in behind the ambulance carrying my son. It was just after 7p and dark outside. The back of the ambulance was well lit. I could see an IV strung and swinging with every road bump. I started to worry. Only another mile to go.

At the hospital, the ambulance pulled into their specific parking area while I continued on to the ER parking. I hurried in and asked for his room. As I entered the patient care area, my son was just being rolled in.

He's my baby boy, he's hurting and he's scared.

I had to step back out of his room, for just a moment, to take a deep breath. I ask one of the paramedics what was going on, he didn't look like he had "just cut his finger!" She explained, my son was in shock. His body had totally locked down in a full body spasm, he couldn't move, he couldn't talk, his eyes were full of fear. I took another deep breath and went in to be with him.

After more than four hours and several stitches, we learned he will need to have surgery to reconstruct the nerve damage (severed nerves) in his left index figure. He has a cut, almost 2" long, from just above his first knuckle on the underside of his finger, to up and over his second knuckle. A clean slice, clear to the bone. We see the hand surgeon Monday.

He slept through the night last night. I thought I might have killed him, giving him two pain killers when we got home, about 12:30a. (The very same pain meds my Gramma was taking a few weeks ago, throwing her into her nightmare for a few weeks.) The meds sure knocked him out, he didn't wake up once. He needed the sleep.

At 8:30a, I checked to see if he was still breathing, and to give him another pain pill if he needed it. I had to wake him up, and yes, he was definitely ready for another pain pill. Back to sleep he went.

This evening, he's up and moving again. We had dinner, I thought food would be good for him, and he's been up watching tv and playing on his laptop with one hand. The good news is, he's gonna live, he injured his left hand and he's right handed, and doc's are so good anymore. I am sure they will be able to mend my little guy, it will just take time.


Becky said...

Ouch...poor guy!

Tess said...

Glad you stopped by and left the link. Thank you!
Man, what a way for your son to get the whole week off for Thanksgiving. Such horror at the thoughts of following that ambulance. Glad he didn't loose the finger but nerve damage is a long road. Lucky it was a clean cut!

Carolyn said...

Sounds like you had quite a day! I am glad he is OK.


~~Kath~~ said...

Oh my goodnes, I'm thankful it wasn't anything worse! I can just imagine how you felt getting that call. ~~Kath~~

Dona said...

Oh dear, Cheryl. I'm thinking of you and your family.

Val said...

I know what you mean about being terrified. When Son had his wreck last Dec I was a mess until they wheeled him in. He was fine but I still started bawling like a baby. I am glad your Son is ok. The hand surgeons are so capable these days it's amazing! What a terrifying experience for you both!

Dee said...

I'm glad your son is OK. I had the same experience with my daughter a few weeks ago. Her appendix burst but the Doc misdiagnosed it so she had peritonitis before they caught it. I was so scared. I'm fattening up mine because she was on IV for 2 weeks and lost a lot of weight. Praying for yours to have a speedy recovery.

Ari said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad he's okay. That is heart-stopping for sure!

Glad I found ya! I've got you linked already.

Judith HeartSong said...

oh, a warm hug to all of you. I am so glad to find you and will get your link in asap:):):) judi

Stacy said...

Hope he is better soon!

MariesImages said...

I am just responding to your question on my Journal.
I use Photoshop 6, but my Signature is made in Illustrator 9 & saved as an eps file & placed on Photoshop Doc.
It's just alittle more complicated than a reg, photoshop project, because you need Illustrator knowledge.
Email me if you really want me to explain.

Donna said...

I would have been terrified! I'm glad he's OK (relatively speaking).

bookncoffee said...

Oh my goodness....I'm glad he is ok. Send him hugs from the journal gang! Tell him to hang in there. Bless his heart I know he was scared. Glad you were able to meet him there and that he is in good hands.

Sie said...

OMG. My heart is with you here.